The Canavese district is in Northern Piedmont and has been inhabited since the 5th century BC, when a Celtic tribe called the Salassi, originally from Gaul, settled here. From the 2nd century BC, Rome began to set up military outposts here, to fight off invasions and make the Alpine passes safer. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the Canavese district became part of a Lombard Duchy and a French county. In the Late Middle Ages, the area was broken down and divided among the Bishops of Ivrea, the Marquises of the Monferrato, the Acaja Princes and the Royal House of Savoy; the latter took over its rule from the 14th century. Towards the end of the 18th century, the French invaded Canavese and imposed the new laws and customs of the Jacobin revolution, causing an uprising by the populations, already torn by numerous on-going conflicts. The situation became particularly difficult at the beginning of the 19th century, when Napoleon entered Turin, after the victory at Marengo, causing the insurrection of the Canavese villages. However, the Canavese district was ruled by Napoleon until 1814, when the House of Savoy returned. In the 19th century, new industries developed in the area and craftsmanship and farming began to flourish again, leaving indelible traces on the local landscape. The Canavese town of Ivrea witnessed the birth and the development for almost a century (1908-1998) of Olivetti, the famous manufacturer of typewriters, calculators and cash registers, which enjoyed huge international success. The whole Canavese area continues to be a “forge” of electronic, IT and mechanical products, home to numerous companies specialised in these sectors.